Concept map overview of anterior pituitary interactions
- The anterior pituitary gland is also known as the master endocrine gland.
- The hormones secreted by the anterior pituitary are as follows.
- 1) Prolactin – It is necessary for lactation.
- 2) Growth hormone – It is responsible for the growth of almost all tissues of the body.
- 3) Thyroid-stimulating hormone – The main action of the thyroid-stimulating hormone is on the thyroid gland. The thyroid hormone increases the metabolic activities of almost all tissues of the body. It increases the metabolic rate of the body and is responsible for the stimulation of growth in children.
- 4) Adrenocorticotropic hormone – The main action of this hormone is on the adrenal cortex. Produces cortisol which increases gluconeogenesis.
- 5) Luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone – These hormones act on the ovaries and testis. And produces sex hormones that are necessary for the maturation and function of the reproductive system.